Water, Supply & Sanitation Collaborative Council (WSSCC)
October 16, 2012
Do you Give A Shit? This is the tagline of the new global World Toilet Day campaign put together by the Water, Supply & Sanitation Collaborative Council (WSSCC) and the World Toilet Organization (WTO). It’s slightly controversial. Very straight talking and means serious business.
Observed annually on 19 November, World Toilet Day is one of international of action that aims to break the taboo around the toilets – a topic no one likes to talk about – and draw attention to the existing global sanitation challenge.
World Toilet Day was created to raise global awareness of the daily for proper dignified sanitation that a staggering 2.5 billion people continue to face.
Originally promoted by the Water, Sanitation and Hygiene sector (WASH) sector who understood far earlier the benefits of proper sanitation, good hygiene and clean drinking water has on the health and wellbeing, educational attainment, wealth not to mention just basic human dignity. Increasingly it is gaining recognition by the international development community as a key issue, but there is still a long way to go.
Designed as an online campaign, World Toilet Day wants to cast its net far and wide to get the attention of not just those working on these issues already, but also decision makers and the public. Through its recently launched website (hyperlink website) it gives those interested in advocating for safer toilets– the perfect opportunity to do so. Through the website you can:
• Share the key campaign messages
• Advocate for better sanitation by hosting an event and register your activities on the interactive World Toilet Day map
• Promote World Toilet Day by using the logo, posters, banners, stickers and brochure
• Tell the world why You Give A Shit!
• Help the word on Facebook and Twitter.
• If you Give A Shit, then World Toilet Day invites you to join in, take action and spread the word.
You can get more information at: www.worldtoiletday.org